We are asked to share homemade miso recipe. Attached photo and recipe below are from Keiko Iwakura.
To learn history of miso, go to our podcast page:
Rice Koji Miso Recipe:
1. Soak dry soybeans 3 hours to overnight and cooking in boiling water for two to three hours. If cooking in a pressure cooker, #15 for 25 minutes on low hear, resting for 15 minutes.
2. When the soybeans becomes nice and tender, strain the water completely, (keep the cooking liquid) and cool down the soybeans.
3. Grind the soybeans in a mortar and pestle or a food processor until it becomes paste, coarser or finer as you like.
4. Mix the soybean paste in with 50% sea salt and 100 – 200% koji yeast by volume.
5. Put the mixer in an airtight container (5# weight on top) and keep it in cool room temperature for 6-24 months.